When must I apply for a title?
When you purchase a new motor vehicle, bring a motor vehicle into the state, or at any time the ownership of the motor vehicle changes, you must apply for a registration and title in your name. 

How do I correctly sign my title over to someone else? 
On the title, the seller should fill in the name and address of the purchaser, the odometer information, selling price, and the date sold in the “Transfer of Title by Seller” section. They must then sign their name in the left column in the Seller section and handprint their name in the right column, same section. The purchaser should then sign their name in the left column in the Purchaser section and handprint their name in the right column, same section. If there is a co-purchaser, they should follow the same instructions in the Co-Purchaser section. 

What do I need if I purchased a vehicle from a private party and need to title the vehicle and get a plate?
The Buyer needs to bring title properly filled out with seller’s signature, purchaser’s signature, selling price and odometer reading. If the title is filled out correctly, seller does not need to be present, although, it is recommended for the seller to be present in order to assure that the title has been transferred properly out of their name.

  • Buyer needs to bring proof of Florida insurance and any current driver’s license
  • Sales tax will be collected on selling price
  • Bill of Sale

For out of State title transfers

  • Vehicle must have a VIN verification and odometer verification completed
  • Original out-of-state title clear of all liens
  • Proof of Florida insurance
  • Valid driver’s license
  • A valid Florida physical address- A P.O. Box is not allowed

What is a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and who completes it?
When applying for a title on a motor vehicle previously registered or titled in another state, the VIN on the actual motor vehicle must be checked to ensure that the vehicle is the same as the one described on the proof of ownership.
The VIN must be physically inspected by one of the following:

  • A law enforcement officer from any state, can complete the Florida Form HSMV 82042 (See Important Documents)
  • A licensed Florida or out of state motor vehicle dealer printed on their letterhead and notarized.

What documentation is required to apply for a duplicate title when the original has been lost or destroyed?

  • Florida Form HSMV 82101(see Important documents) accurately completed by the applicant
  • Proof of identity(copy of Driver’s license, Identification card or Military identification)
  • Lien satisfaction(if applicable) on Florida Form HSMV 82260 or on lien holder’s letterhead
  • Old registration or copy of registration

When does my registration expire? 
Registrations issued in a person’s name expire at midnight on the person’s birth date, except for mobile homes and commercial vehicles.

When is a late fee applied?
A late fee is applied on the 11th calendar day of the month following the renewal period. The exact expiration date is shown on the current registration certificate.

What do I need to bring to renew my registration?
Renewal notice from the state and a copy of your current Florida Insurance card

What do I need to renew my registration, if I did not receive my renewal notice from the state?
A copy of the current registration & proper proof of Florida insurance

Why didn’t I get my renewal notice this year as I have for the past several years?
If a current motor vehicle record is on the database, the information is pulled for a renewal notice to be provided. Although Florida statutes do not require that the DMV provide renewal notices for motor vehicle registration, all records are provided as a courtesy. Renewal notices are now provided for tax collectors or private vendors to print renewal notices. A county may elect not to send a renewal notice to its residents. Even if a notice is printed, the notice may get lost in the mail. Please call “All Florida” and we will renew your registration, within 24 hours of us receiving the proper paperwork. It will be sent out via USPS-certified mail only or by Fed Ex – your choice.

Do I have proper proof of Insurance?
Proof of Insurance includes personal injury protection and property damage liability insurance which must be shown on the original or photocopy of one of the following:

  • Florida automobile insurance ID card
  • Florida insurance policy binder
  • Certificate of insurance
  • An original affidavit signed by the insured, giving the name of the insurance company, policy number, type of insurance coverage, and the description of the vehicle

Why do I have to get a new license plate every 10 years? Mine looks fine.
Section 320.06(1) (b), Florida statutes states, requires 10 year replacement of all license plates. The replacement is necessary because license plates must be fully reflectorized “to ensure” visibility for law enforcement purposes. The vendor of the reflectorized sheeting, 3M Company, recommends replacement after 10 years because the reflectorized sheeting shows reduced light reflection at night for 10 years although the appearance may appear to be fine.

Why do lease cars cost more to renew than private vehicles? 
Lease cars cost more to register and renew registration because of the taxing structure in Florida Section 320.08. Historically, we believe this was done when only leased automobiles were taxicabs used for commercial use. The taxing structure has not been changed since short-term rental and long-term rental vehicles became a common use for autos.

Why can’t I renew my registration, even though the co-owner has a suspension against their license? They don’t even drive the car, I do! 
Florida Statutes, Section 320.02(12), requires a registration or re-registration to be withheld on any motor vehicle whether the owner or co-owner of the vehicle has a suspension against the driver’s license. It appears that it was the intent of the legislature for fines and parking violations to be paid regardless to which co-owner committed the violation. 

The first registration is the full price from the date of purchase, but only good until the owner’s birthday. If the owner’s birthday is beyond 15 month, they have to pay the full year for four months. Why?
Florida Statutes, Section 320.14(1) requires the full amount of the license tax to be imposed or charged for the registration regardless of when during the registration period the vehicle is registered.

Do I have to turn in my license plate when I cancel insurance?
Yes. When insurance is cancelled and motor vehicle records indicate the vehicle is still owned by the same person and the license plate is still valid, the Bureau of Financial Responsibility, Division of Driver Licenses requires that the license plate be cancelled. The plate may be turned in to a driver license, tax collector office, or call “All Florida”.

Do I have to turn in my license plate when I sell my car, and if I do, do I have to pay the “new wheels on the road” fee again?
When a vehicle is sold and the license plate is transferred to a replacement vehicle the $225 initial registration fee is not required. If the vehicle is not replaced, the license plate must be turned in to the driver license office or tax collector to prevent a driver license suspension. The vehicle registration will be stamped “cancelled” and this may be used to exempt the $225 initial registration fee when a replacement vehicle is registered and plated.

Why must out-of-state residents of Florida have proof of Florida insurance before getting a license plate? Or proof of insurance at all?
It is Florida law. Florida insurance is REQUIRED to meet the requirements of Florida Statutes. Only insurance issued or countersigned by a Florida agent is electronically reported to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for verification purposes.

What are the insurance requirements for a Florida resident in the military who is stationed outside of the state?
Military personnel are exempt from providing proof of Florida insurance in the following circumstances: • The military member is an owner or co-owner of the vehicle • The military member is a Florida resident stationed outside of Florida The military member must provide proof of insurance regardless of which state he or she is stationed in. In addition, an out-of-state address must be shown on the Florida Vehicle Registration Certificate. We must have a copy of the military orders OR an affidavit from the military member’s commanding officer, which confirms the military orders, and the date of the assignment. You must submit an affidavit stating the vehicle will not be driven in the state of Florida.

Do I carry the registration certificate on me or in the car?
Florida Statutes, Section 320.0605, requires the registration certificate or an official copy to be on the possession of the operator of the motor vehicle or carried in the vehicle at all times. Therefore, either way is permissible as long as a copy can be produced for law enforcement upon demand.

What vessels require registration?

  • Any motorized powerboat using public waters
  • Non-powered boats longer than sixteen feet

How do I register my vessel? 
You can register a vessel in person by visiting your local tax collector’s office or call “All Florida”. You must provide a completed boat registration application (see important Documents ) and proof of ownership such as a bill of sale, invoice, bill of lading, certificate of origin, or an out-of-state title.

To contact us:
OCAL # 772-794-1573
FAX # 772-794-1743
WEBSITE www.allfloridaautotagsandtitles.com

(**) With properly completed and properly signed documents

All Florida Auto Tags and Titles meets the out of state client needs by Registering Vehicles in Florida.